My approach to painting is based on a sense of design that was confirmed for me by two formative years spent in Italy after graduating from Art College in the 1970s. At the same time a sensuous enjoyment of colour and paint qualities is important to me.
Cornwall has brought together these personal tastes of mine through its landscape, culture and over-arching quality of maritime light.
- Settled in St Columb Major and founded The Lanherne Studio 2013.
- Co-owned and jointly ran The Turn of the Tide Studio in St Just-in-Penwith with Gabrielle Hawkes from 1998 - 2013.
- Elected to membership of the National Acrylic Painters Association in 2007.
- Co-owned and jointly ran Visions and Journeys Gallery in St Just-in-Penwith with Gabrielle Hawkes from 1986 - 1993.
- Taught Art in Bath, London and Cornwall from 1976 to 1999 and was head of Art at Mounts Bay School, Penzance from 1982 to 1999.
- Born in Yorkshire my early education was in Huddersfield. I gained an honours degree in Fine Art at Newcastle-upon-Tyne University and on graduating in 1971 was awarded a Bunzl travel scholarship to study in Italy. I returned to the U.K. in 1973 and lived for seven years in Bath, training as a teacher at Bristol University. >>Click here to see examples of early work.
- I've been a practicing Buddhist since 1983 >>Click here to read about this as an influence.
Click here for a list of solo, two person and group exhibitions
Click here for a statement about my working process
Click here to read the Wonderstreet interview from February 2016
Articles and reviews
You can instantly translate this page using the drop-down menu below.